Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Prof Hendricks Joins the Cloud of Witnesses


In my last class with Dr. Howard Hendricks, 2008
Early this morning, our beloved Prof Hendricks departed from this life to the life beyond the world as we know it, released from physical limitations to enjoy unlimited spiritual freedoms. Whether we call the place where Howard Hendricks is now heaven or paradise, the apostle Paul wrote, "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord."

I can only imagine.

A Leader and an original

Dr. Hendricks said, “Don’t start with others; start with yourself. God is in the character, not the credentials.”  Prof backed up these words with his life.

"You will become the leader you desire to be and that you decide to be." And then, "You can't blame others for who you are. You cannot expect others to make you what you ought to be. That's your assignment."

Dr. Hendricks spent a lifetime carrying out that character building assignment. He loved God. He loved teaching the Bible. He loved people.

 Of all the things I heard him say, I most often quote, "All people are born originals but most die a copy."

1924–2013, Howard Hendricks remained an original. A work of art. No one like him. Irreplaceable.

Thanks be to God for giving me the gift of knowing Prof, sitting under his teaching throughout the 4 years I spent at Dallas Seminary, and for ways in which he influenced my life and the lives of countless others.

Tributes to Howard Hendricks 

On a trip to Israel in 2005, I took this picture, adding Prof's quote


No comments: