Saturday, August 6, 2011

Shall We Sew?

 
Apropos: Rose and I named the dress form Scarlett

Weeks ago, I started making costumes for my daughter Rose. Up until the last minute when I had to leave for a writer's workshop in Santa Fe a week ago, instead of singing "Shall We Dance," I hummed Shall We Sew … duh-duh-duh-duh.

Opening night was last night for Lubbock Moonlight Musical's production of The King and I, and Rose plays Anna. 
Shall we dance? One, two, three and

Granddaughter Ava loves to play dress up. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.


For the skirt, I started with this formal, removed the bodice, added a waistband and an underskirt.

 Shall We Dance costume was the hardest dress I ever made, remade or fitted.
 And when I finished, I felt like dancing. duh-duh-duh-duh.
Making a mess: my husband says I excel at it.


While Rose and the rest of the cast swelters in the record-breaking heat––I am very sad about the heat––I sit at 7300 feet in Santa Fe, the last day of a writer's workshop with Lauren Winner at The Glen. More about that later.



Whether I am more sad about the heat or missing opening weekend, I cannot decide. The King and I has performances tonight and the next two weekends, Friday and Saturday night, 8:00 p.m. at Mackenzie Park. I intend to be there. 

Directed by Gerald Dolter and Musical Director Jacob Miller, come see this classic Rodgers and Hammerstein musical performed by a great cast and orchestra.





No comments: