Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Intentional

My friend, Marcia
Where have all the bloggers gone?

Like others, I have gone missing in action to pursue other concerns.

Has anyone missed me? I mean, really?

But I have missed blogging.

Still hacking away at a manuscript that I began in earnest at the beginning of 2011, I find this "book" (a memoir) the hardest to complete of all the projects I have ever begun.
And it's teaching me something about myself that I needed to learn.

Unless I enjoy the process, the product will disappoint.

During my second year at DTS, my great friend Marcia spent the night with me, and I shared with her my discouragement about school. She startled me by saying, "You will finish, Carol. You're a 100%-er. You finish what you start."

Pictures I took of Marcia when I studied photography at AC
And she was right, too. I did finish in 2008. And because I did not enjoy the process during the 4 years spent attending seminary, I have failed to appreciate that accomplishment.

Why has it taken me so long to realize this?

My friend's date of birth falls on Veteran's Day.
I will be thinking of her that day, as on so many other days since her departure. I wish she could have seen me graduate. I wish she were still here to celebrate another birthday. I wish she could have imagined a better future.

Rather than give up, I plan to blog again. Marcia would have been glad.












No comments: