Thursday, April 2, 2009

She Makes Me Want to Be a Better Blogger

Myriad connections have led me to a website, The Pioneer Woman, aka. Ree Drummond. Cool name, huh?     

This week a friend shared Ree’s recipe for Apple Dumplings.  http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/02/apple_dumplings/ Secret ingredient: Mountain Dew.

I made this recipe when my friend Pat visited. Simple to make, we loved it, but agreed that two apple slices inside the crescent dough would have made it better.

Don’t you just hate to run out of fruit before you run out of dough or juice or vanilla ice cream? The recipe is easy to cut in half, which we did in order to keep from eating the whole pan—to keep from wasting or waist-ing this luscious dessert. 

My daughter-in-law had told me about the Pioneer Woman when I was still in school, buried beneath books and writing assignments, trying to assimilate spiritual rather than necessary food.

Back then I visited the site a few times, seldom cooked and had to go back to the library anyway. Now I have this blog bookmarked www.thepioneerwoman.com for culinary inspiration, dazzling photography and funny stories to boot.

On March 19, I attended a business meeting where a woman I had not met announced that The Pioneer Woman won blog of the year, an annual contest held in Austin. The woman exuded effervescent praise for a blog she has on her Google reader, a blog she reads every day because Ree posts something almost every day.

I don’t know how long this girl Ree has been a blogger, but her blog creates an appetite for whatever she wants to show or tell or sell. Pretty sure it’s G-rated.

Whether photography, recipes or stories, readers appreciate the writer’s wit, creativity and skill. 

She makes me want to be a better blogger.   

No comments: