Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Hat-making 101


When I auditioned for the chorus of My Fair Lady back in November, hardly then could I have imagined that I would make a hat to wear in the "Ascot Gavotte" number http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Sq1Pax7h8&feature=related .

As in the movie, the Adult Ensemble will wear black and white Victorian/Edwardian fashions. Think the era of the movie Titanic.

The First United Methodist Music Ministry http://www.fumc.com/music/theater/_theater.htm presents a Broadway musical production each year in February, performed at the Civic Center for three performances. Rehearsals began on January 3, and well, I will keep readers posted as to how this goes.
"… I have never been so keyed up …"


My research surfaced some surprising sights regarding costumes. Most astonishing to a person who lives Texas, hat-making or millinery is alive and well, and women still wear fancy hats to the Ascot races held just outside of London, England each year in June.  http://www.amazon.com/Kentucky-Edwardian-designed-Morning-Purple/dp/B0015L67QY/ref=pd_sbs_a_5

Check out this video if you want to see some of the more recent creations, including a picture of the Queen who attends the weeklong event.

An American counterpart, The Kentucky Derby, also features extraordinary hats, and apparently these hand-made creations can sell for hundreds of dollars.



So after a day spent hunting and gathering supplies, I begin my own hat-making adventure. Will post pictures along the way of my creation. If all goes well, I may start yet another business that loses money.

1 comment:

aspire2 said...

So when do you post the dates for the performances??? :)