Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Here's my Hat


Getting inspiration from hats viewed online and in the movie, everything but the hat came from Hobby Lobby. 

Instead of using a hat pattern, I decided to use a torn hat to decorate for the Ascot Gavotte race scene.





Because the lavendar color showed through the white satin, the center is covered with a scrap of white material. In this case, some lightweight nylon.


Next I laid a large piece of white satin over the center and secured the base with rubber bands linked together like daisy chains, creating one strong rubber band large enough to go around the hat crown. Then I laid the fabric loosely in pleats before gluing the fabric in place along the edge.



Using double-sided fusing material to cover underneath the brim, I ironed first to the wrong side of the black satin fabric, then removed the paper backing and ironed the other fusible side to the hat. After placing the white satin on top, I trimmed the excess fabric and used a hot glue gun to attach a velveteen ribbon 1 1/2 inches wide along the edge of the hat, covering both the black and white raw edges of fabric.




For the fabric roses I used organza. Using 1/8 of a yard folded in half lengthwise, I stitched 1/4 inch along the raw edges side, curved at both ends so that stitching begins and ends on the fold. Cut the excess fabric along the curve.

Pulling gently on this long running stitch gathers the fabric which then is twisted to form the center of the rose. Continue wrapping around the center and stitch through all layers of fabric to secure the rose.

After using hot glue to secure the feather trim around the entire brim of the hat, which measured 60 inches, I secured the roses with massive amounts of hot glue in front of a fan I made out of tulle.



Now I'm making a ballgown. I feel like one of Cinderella's mice embellishing a dress with scraps of fabric, ribbon and even using drapery trim.

Instead of whistling while I work or singing "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes," I watch/listen to the movie My Fair Lady as well as all of the bonus features about the film's restoration.

A fascinating story of artistry, craftsmanship and people's commitment to excellence and the resolve to preserve this masterpiece, the restoration of this "national treasure" in 1994, 30 years after the original film debuted, involved a frame by frame video reproduction and transfer that took 2 years and 2 million dollars to complete.

Considering that the film originally shown in only 300 select theaters across the country, how loverly that anyone can actually own a copy of a copy. http://www.amazon.com/My-Fair-Lady-Audrey-Hepburn/dp/B002HK9IDQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1264536530&sr=1-2

While keeping a notebook of MFL trivia to pass on at a later date, for now the sewing machine trumps the computer. With a little bit of luck, I will finish my costumes soon.

No comments: